Seasons is proudly home to many Veterans. We honour those who served our country during times of war, dispute and peace. Together, we remember their important stories so the legacy of our Veterans may live on forever.
Supporting Royal Canadian Legions
We created the Pennies for Poppies campaign to honour the Veterans who live at Seasons Retirement Communities. Every November since 2016, Seasons collects pocket change from staff, families, community members and residents to support its local Royal Canadian Legion.
“Seasons donates to the Royal Canadian Legions because we appreciate the important work they do to help aging Veterans. The Legion is an important community resource in the cities and towns where we operate retirement homes,” says LeighAnne Voll, COO, Seasons Retirement Communities.
Paper poppies with donors’ names are also posted in each Seasons Retirement Community to create a Remembrance Day display. Additionally, Seasons team members ‘plant’ hundreds of paper poppies in our gardens to create a visual display of commitment to honour the brave women and men who served our country.
How do donations help Veterans?
The Royal Canadian Legion explains that donations to the Legion Poppy Fund directly support Veterans, including the Canadian Armed Forces, RCMP and their families who are in need of services.
Poppy Funds also contribute to:
- Grants for food, heating costs, clothing, prescription medication
- Medical appliances and equipment, essential home repairs and emergency shelter or assistance for Veterans and their families in need
- Housing accommodation and care facilities for Veterans
- Funding for Veteran Transition Programs that are directly related to the training, education and support needs of Veterans and their families
- Comforts for Veterans and their surviving spouses who are hospitalized and in need
- Veterans visits, transportation, reading programs and day trips
- Accessibility modifications to assist Veterans with disabilities
- Educational bursaries for children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Veterans
- Support of cadet units
- Community drop-in centres, meals-on-wheels, and seniors’ services in communities where Veterans would benefit
- Community medical appliances, medical training and medical research which will assist in the care of Veterans in the community
- Support the work of Legion Command and Branch Service Officers across Canada in assisting and representing Veterans
- Donations for disaster relief declared by federal or provincial governments which impact Veterans in those communities
- Promotion and administering of Remembrance Day activities to ensure Canadians never forget the sacrifices of Canadian Veterans
In respect of Veterans who stood up for the rights we enjoy today, Seasons Retirement Communities created a video to recognize and thank the men and women who fought for our freedom.